For my French recipe I chose to make French toast, an old recipe that dates back to the 4th or 5th century. French toast was commonly served with game birds or meat. French toast is also known as German and Spanish toast. The main ingredients of French toast are bread, eggs, and milk.
I have chosen to prepare a variation of French toast in which the toast is baked, because of the convenience of baking at school instead of frying.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 12 slices bread
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with melted butter. Spread and remaining butter on bottom of dish.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over melted butter.
- Arrange bread in two layers over brown sugar mixture.
- Beat eggs, milk, and salt in a bowl; pour over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.